Saturday, April 14, 2007

Return of the Pianist

I never exactly knew what came into my mind to open the dusty grand piano and to play it again. Even my mom was shocked. The same question popped: "What came into your mind?" Honestly, I don't know the answer. It's been almost a year now since I last played a piece, or even longer.
Because I stopped playing it. For the sake of college, I desperately ran away from the fact that I cannot be a pianist. I cannot be a pianist. But I have the creative side, too. Can I? Oh, please. I dont to be not just an engineer in the near future. But I also want to be a pianist by heart.

I wish I could continue studying to play the piano again. Six years is not enough.

I kept reliving those pieces I played for every piano recital I had for the past 6 years of performing in front of the crowd. Mozart, Bach, Kuhlau and Beethoven. I had a difficulty playing them perfectly again, and I guess here we go again with Sir Raffy's philosophy, PRACTICE.

And then, Sir Raffy also came with those memories. His lessons were worth remembering for. For two straight days, I've been staring at different piano scores, trying to regain the tempo, the beat, everything including the gracefulness of playing. Yes, I can still remember a lot. Trills, ornaments, mordents, dal segnos, grace notes, sonatas. The essence of music. My love for music.

And it's all getting back now. I played those pieces as I have played them before. Now, new pieces* enter my busy life. I seek for new things, and I guess having no time to go back with Sir Raffy in my piano school again means teaching your stubborn self. And Sir Raffy's reminders are always remembered.
Sonata Facile K. 545, 1st Movement (Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart)
Sonatine, Opus 55, No. 3 (Frederick Kuhlau)
Sonata, Opus 23, No. 5 (Frederick Kuhlau)
Two-Part Invention #13 in G Major (Johann Sebastian Bach) [all-time favorite]
Air in G Major (Haydn)
Canon* (Pachelbel)
Minuet in G (Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart)
Fur Elise (Ludwig van Beethoven)
Turkish March (Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart)

I still can't believe that I can still play these pieces. Oh, the glory days of literally playing classical piano music in the piano are back, and our house finally heard the sound of the old dusty piano, still sounding new, once again.

No comments: