Tuesday, June 21, 2011

I have a secret crush on a fictitious mermaid.

Upon seeing that picture below, I believe I don't even have to tell the name for you to recognize who or whatever it is. Ever since Starbucks changed the logo printed on each and every one of their cups, I fell in love with that very minimal moss green and white ensemble: how the simpleness of the geometry creates a wonderful image of a mermaid, how the green and white complement each other, how everything falls in the right place. Parang Harry Potter lang 'yan. Hindi mo na kailangan pang isulat sa poster (with reference to the Deathly Hallows 2 poster) ang label para lang masabi mong ito nga 'yun.



And day-by-day, I've grown very much closer with a few of the baristas in Katipunan, except for that one person me and my friends consider as the "tall dark and handsome" barista who I haven't seen for so long already, HAHA. I confess to this blog that I really love the atmosphere at Starbucks especially when I am so in the mood to study. Although it kills wallets most of the time, I really try to make it a point to at least choose the least expensive drink so I've created my ultimate combo of drinks to order, which costs just less than 150 bucks. I've actually budgeted my expenses per day. My awesome home-cooked lunch and dinner costing to just about 80-120 bucks...and an extra of 120-125 bucks if ever I decide to stay and study at Starbucks.

I know it sounds weird that I spend more on the things I drink while studying but I really love these drinks. Don't blame me. We have our own vices...and this would probably be mine. I don't really have anything against other coffee shops. In fact, I also love going to Casa Xocolat from time to time (because their Xoco Latte just rocks my socks) or drinking at Seattle's Best sometimes. The thing is...Seattle's Best became too noisy for me since they merged with Kenny Roger's while Casa Xocolat (as home-y as it looks) has the perfect internet connection which would just ruin the concentration to studying.



For more than five years of making Starbucks my third home (second being my school/dorm), I've grown very familiar with the regulars: the caramel macchiatto, the white chocolate mocha, the signature hot chocolate, the frapuccino. And yes, after all those years, I've finally developed my own customized version of the regulars, of course, based on what I really want it to taste like. Here are some of my favorites:
  • Half-decaf soy cinnamon latte stirred with two brown sugar (Tall @ 120) for that everyday Christmas season feeling and a hint of caffeine/wake-me-up in the system
  • Classic hot chocolate with vanilla (Tall @ 110) usually for the rainy days and a subtle hint of caffeine (as stated in the nutrition manual)
  • Tazo / Earl grey tea latte with vanilla syrup (Tall @ 120) which I already lessened drinking because I realized I've increased my trips to the bathroom when I drink this
  • Black/English breakfast iced tea with strawberry sauce (Tall/Grande @ 115/125) or sometimes without the sauce (Tall/Grande @ 95/110)
***

Some people love to shop. Some love to eat. But I would really love to just curl in one corner of a coffee shop, to study, to read a book or to open my laptop and create a catharsis of everything in mind.

No comments: