Saturday, February 16, 2013

Review: Love that Dog / Sharon Creech

4 of 5 stars false
Love that Dog is written in "prose disguised as poetry," a verse novel very different from all the other stories I read. It chronicles young boy Jack's understanding and exploration of poetry, in a journal format, which includes insights on poems they read in class and poems he tried to write. The book immediately takes its readers back to childhood -- first poem encounters in school, playing with other kids outside in the neighborhood, and getting a first pet.

Jack, as a child, was very patient. In the beginning, he confesses that he can't stand poems but as the story progresses, we discover how Jack has eventually developed a love for poetry. He was very open and he wrote about many things.

As I read along,
it made me cry
it made me say 'Aww'
And I won't tell why
but, this, I tell you now 

It was amazing how Love that Dog was able to instantly capture short, adorable, heartwarming and moving, all at the same time. Wonderful must-read.

No comments: