Sunday, November 23, 2008

103 years of bombardment: Einstein's relativity


1905, Albert Einstein


The famous Einstein equation for the mass-energy equivalence or what we all know as the Theory of Relativity, after 103 years, has finally been proven! cool I was re-heating food in the microwave when I passed by the table of newspapers at the dorm lobby yesterday and this article immediately caught my attention.

Of course, Einstein's name always sparkles. It was on the front page of Philippine Star and yes, I made an effort to read everything about it. As a reader of Einstein's book on his explanation of the special and general theory, I immediately understood how they were able to prove it:

As a summary and also based on what I understood about their proof, I'll just make some bullet points:

  • We all know that an atom has three sub-atomic particles: proton + neutron + electron.
  • Given all these, we probably know the mass of each particle.
  • Several years after the discovery of the masses of these particles, they've also noted that the atom is made up of smaller particles known as QUARKS.
  • These quarks are made up of even smaller particles called GLUONS.
  • By virtue of quantum chromodynamics, a bunch of theoretical physicists from Germany, Hungary and France attempted to measure the mass of QUARKS and GLUONS.
  • They used space and time as the fourth dimension, as what is also established in Section 4 of Einstein's book, Relativity: The Special & General Theory.
  • Gluons have no mass.
  • Quarks only have 5% physical mass. The remaining 95% of its mass comes from the energy when these particles bump onto each other.
Thus, the mass-energy equivalence of Einstein is true. Photobucket

***

It was also in 1905 when Einstein wrote the paper, the same time Relativity was also published, about the Brownian motion. This was the time that they brought a solution to the problem on the movement of particles when he indirectly proved the existence of atoms and molecules.

Now, who would have thought this has some significance to his ever famous theory.

As a side comment on the book of Relativity...
I think it was Einstein's way of saying "in your face" to Newton, Galileo and some other scientists.
It was fun reading Einstein disproving Newton's law of inertia, I really loved that part.

No comments: