We all use math every day; to predict weather, to tell time, to handle money. Math is more than formulas or equations; it’s logic, it’s rationality, it’s using your mind to solve the biggest mysteries we know.Aside from House, MD. -- Numb3rs is probably one of the best series I have ever watched. By watching a few episodes, one would notice that you don't need to watch all to understand each cases they solve... That is the similarity for both series, including CSI episodes. I've watched it randomly at AXN but no matter what, watching it in order...and completing it until the latest episode is still the best.~NUMB3RS
Gregory House is one hell of an ass doctor with indeed very good "doctor" skills. But who would still bother that he even has parents and that he hated his father much that he lived on his own at a young age because he hated his father.
We all know that Charlie Eppes is the ultimate mathematics genius in Numb3rs. But he also has issues with his family, most especially with his brother. Yes, they work together in solving the cases but if we take a peek at their past... it was Charlie who had the difficulty to get along with his brother. Charlie thinks that nobody understands him in the family, that he talks his own language. All these, we wouldn't know unless we watch it in proper order... and you sometimes got to love all these series that tells something about languages which people normally don't take into consideration.
Aside from music, mathematics, I think, is a language which is common to the whole world. "Everything is numbers," Charlie Eppes mentioned in the Numb3rs series. I have always thought of those mathematicians continuing or independently working on same topics. I kind of think they're so amazing not just because they can do all the math but because on the same topic... they always arrive at same conclusions, only with different methods.
I haven't finished watching the first season yet. As of the latest episode I've watched, my favorite is "Prime Suspects" in which a mathematician's daughter got kidnapped by persons who want to use his work to hack money from the internet using his solution to the mystery of Riemann's hypothesis. As of what I've learned in my previous calculus classes, Riemann is this guy who made the solution to finding the area under a curve, the longer way to do integration. Thank god they invented integration because Riemann's sum drives me nuts.
It turns out the Riemann's hypothesis is a 150-year old mystery which can be used, based on what I understood from the episode, for internet data encryption. The largest numbers we can think of such as quintillion, vigintillion, novemdecillion, etc. is not enough to express the data we get from the internet. Now, Riemann's hypothesis deals with the distribution of prime numbers. Prime numbers, from our elementary mathematics, are the building blocks of numbers. We cannot factor them out further. 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 17, 19, 23... Unlike the Fibonacci sequence, these numbers randomly occur at the number line...meaning they don't have a pattern so when we take into consideration very large numbers such as those used in internet data encryption...it's one hell of a difficult thing because it deals with numbers exceeding the googolplex. Cutting it short, it works like a key, when assembled, it leads you to many things.
Oh crap, I'm talking into another language again.
Going back to the action of the episode, these bad people are trying to decrypt those data such as passwords, online transactions, credit card numbers, accounts and the like... dealing with other people's money... in big amounts.
*sigh*
You got to love numbers.
No comments:
Post a Comment